A reconstruction drawing of Derryguiha House.


DERRYGUIHA in Irish meaning (Daoire Gaoithe) “The Windy Oakwood”

Derryguiha also called Derrygeeha as in the Griffith Valuation Books has an area of 437 Acres no Roods and 28 Perches and is part of Kilfiddane Parish (Coolmeen-Cranny).

In 1841 Derryguiha had a population of 219 people and the population in 1851 was 205.

In 1841 the townland had 35 inhabited houses and in 1851 there were 31 inhabited houses.

In 1901 the following were recorded as householders;

James Hanrahan, Thomas Madigan, John Markham, Joseph Corry, Honor Corry, Thomas O’Donnell, Patrick McInerney, James Brogan, Thomas McNamara, John Frawley, Michael Linnane, Patrick Clancy, Martin Clancy. The total residents in the townland for the year 1901 totalled 73.

The population of Derryguiha totals 34 people with 9 inhabited houses and 3 uninhabited houses.